Thursday, January 20, 2005

Shonali Bose interview

Here's an interesting interview with Shonali Bose, director of Amu. This appeared in the Telegraph a week ago.

    "Amu is the realisation of a long-suppressed idea. I was in the first year of my college in Delhi when the 1984 anti-Sikh riots happened. I was deeply impacted by it. I never wanted to be a filmmaker, only an academician. But then my mother passed away under tragic circumstances and I left for the US. But I didn’t like academics. So I became a filmmaker. I needed to write about the mother-daughter relationship. The 1984 riots coalesced with my mother’s death. I realised how important it is to provide comfort to the grieving."

    "I never wanted to write! In Delhi, Penguin got hold of the screenplay and they were convinced it’d make a good novel. While I was editing Amu in LA I squeezed the book out. I don’t feel it stands up to the film, though I could put in all the details."

Read more ...

1 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger ipblsk said...

Hi Ananda

I wanted to bring your attention to jaman.com that is hosting AMU on its website. Please read the following:

Now playing on Jaman.com, AMU, the award winning controversial film that Mira Nair calls a "must see". The film that Deepa Mehta says "is one of the best Indian films I have seen"

Watch the trailer http://www.jaman.com/a/video/0_AbzfMPNeoA/

Censored by the Indian government, banned by Indian Television - now finally everyone can see it

Go to
http://www.jaman.com/a/download/?f=india
and you can get Amu and 2 more movies for free

You can what celebrities including Nasseeruddin Shah, Jaya Bachchan, Aamir Khan, Vivek Oberoi and others have to say about AMU here http://www.jaman.com/a/video/0-SAUPsO9aTk/


Be ready to be blown away and tell your friends!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home