Friday, February 24, 2006

M. Krishnan Nair

... passes away.

    Nair's weekly Malayalam column 'Sahithya Varaphalam', which is carried by leading weeklies, has been the most widely read column in the language for the last 35 years. Nair earned friends and foes and often created storm in literary circles with his pungent comments, brief but incisive analysis and sharp observations in his column.

    'Sahithya Varaphalam' first appeared in the now-defunct 'Malayala Nadu' weekly, later in 'Kalakaumudi' and now in 'Samakalika Malayalam' weekly. An authority on world literature, he introduced to the common reader masterpieces in English, European languages and also Latin American and Japanese literature. As a reviewer judging literary works, he never went by the reputation of the writer but by the true value of the piece under judgment.

[Link.]

6 Comments:

At 5:07 AM, Blogger Jay said...

Its true that no one has infulenced the malayalee intelligentsia like Krishnan Nair. I came across his column a couple of years back and when the collected works was published, I just went out and grabbed it!

I should add that he was also a keen observer and commentator on marital relationships - often given as vignettes in his column.

 
At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We malayalis missed him. It is a real lost. I think he was the most powerful critic on contemperory malayalam literature. I always lost myself under his spell. I think he was a literary policeman in its true sense. I could only amuse at his knowledge of world literature. I am afraid no one can substitute him in the near future or never.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger SJ Nair said...

Okay I agree Krishnan Nair has a great ability to make people being pulled to him. I am happy to see such blogs can make the name such nair really great. You can also look to my blog on nair
community and krishnan nair
http://www.naircaste.blogspot.com
and can post some comments there. 
That blog deals from nair caste to nair products and Meera nair to navya nair
every thing on nairs including the history and relevance of this warrior
community. I believe in transparency and hope that will work wonders.- Regards-
S J Nair

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Rithesh said...

Thanks for the comments/homage you paid; its really heartening to read everyone's comments on the site. I can tell you personally too he was a great man.....
Thanks Again
Rithesh Nair

 
At 5:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your blog. I hope it pays off for you. I also have a blog that you might enjoy...
Penis Enlargement Product

 
At 5:35 AM, Anonymous max martin said...

i have read a lot about Nair. perhaps he is one of the best columnist of his time.

Teaching Assistant diploma | associate degree Network Management | Industrial Engineering Diploma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home