Sunday, July 31, 2005

The most popular blogger: A few random thoughts

Michael Higgins' Chocolate and Gold Coins has an interesting post on popular bloggers. If you haven't noticed it already, here's the link.

I've been reading 'Chocolate and Gold Coins' for quite some time now. I think I noticed the blog via Amit's India Uncut. Michael's is one of the blogs that I check regularly, and it's a very decent blog. That Michael is an alumnus of U of Minnesota was appealing too as I have a lot of fond memories of Minneapolis and have a lot of friends out there. Incidentally, a few of the finest movies that I have watched were at the U of M film club.

Michael feels that Sunil Laxman must be one of the very popular bloggers of the Indian blogosphere, perhaps also because he comments a lot on other posts. Now Sunil's blog is one of my favourite sites too, and Sunil has commented here many times. I value all the comments that I get, but my guess is that Sunil's would be a favourite site of mine even if he hadn't commented here! I think his style is brilliant, and I can't agree more to almost all that he writes on more serious themes.

The post and the comments over there contain some interesting discussions about comments and bloggers commenting back. I must say that some of the A-list bloggers I know are extremely good with replying. Specifically I have in mind Dilip, Uma, and Amit here. Amit is so quick in responding back that sometimes his reply can come to your inbox even before you send your mail! And these are some of the blogs that I check many times a day.

It's almost a year since I've started blogging. A year and a couple of months since I've started reading blogs. One of the first blogs that caught my attention was Amardeep Singh's blog, and that continues to be one of my favourite sites. It's precisely this (& here) kind of serious writing that I admire a lot.

I notice that I've listed five of my most favourite blogs following Michael. Perhaps Michael has just started a blog meme? What are your favourite blogs?

9 Comments:

At 2:18 AM, Blogger Kaps said...

Just when the blog meme's showed signs of fading, u are trying to revive the same :-)

I don't send much emails to bloggers who don't support comments (partly due to my laziness).

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Anand said...

:)

Most Indian bloggers enable comments. Amit's is one notable exception. In Amit's case, e-mails do work well.

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Michael Higgins said...

Hi Anand
Thanks for linking to my post. That post generated a lot of interest.
Vikram Arumilli has a nice post on Indian Blog Rankings.
Its worth a look.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Anand said...

Thanks Michael. Yes, Vikram's post is interesting. I somehow had the impression that Page Rank might not help since all blogspot blogs would get the same page rank. I guess I was wrong.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Vikram. Btw, how do you get the PageRank?

Thanks Uma. Inside the campus we are okay. Only the tuesday rains affected us a bit. So much trauma just outside though, as all of you know.

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks Vikram.

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger ecophilo said...

IMHO, Emergic is probably the best desi weblog. Youthcurry is another one thats quite original. Atanu Dey writes a good blog as well, Deesha, I think is its name. Abi, on education is interesting as well. Me, well, thats for you to see :)

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Anand said...

Thanks Neelakantan. Yours is a very interesting blog too.

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Anand. Its an honour to see a link to my blog on your page.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home