Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Are they men too? Fine!

First a quote from an extremely popular non-fiction work:

    "I am a liberal, and above these caste distinctions", said my host, turning to me, "but I cannot tolerate the sight of a lower caste girl sitting beside a Brahmin boy. I saw it with my own eyes on a bus in Delhi the other day. Mind you, the boy was the son of a Supreme Court judge."

    "What is wrong with them sitting on the bus together?" I asked artlessly.

    "What's wrong -- she is unclean!" said my Rajput host, rising imperiously from the charpai and assuming the dignity of a retired transport commsissioner."They used to carry muck on their heads."

    "That was probably two generations ago", I said, impatience showing in my voice.

Now read this moving piece by Sunil Laxman. Sunil also has quotes, but from books which may have more to do with reality.

4 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Sh said...

Very intresting site...

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

India Unbound by Gurcharan Das.

 
At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi - first time here. nice blog. got some good ideas on what to read. btw, what do have against chetan bhagat? don't a lot of people like his work?

 
At 3:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks KittyCreation & Shamita.

Oh I have nothing against Chetan Bhagat! It's just that I didn't like his first book at all. I'm sure many people like his style of writing. Not to my taste, I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home