Sunday, March 06, 2005

To the memory of Rajen who died today morning in Kanjurmarg

I got this disturbing mail from R today morning:

    There was an accident in Kanjur this morning. There was a crowd at the station, and I could smell blood. I caught a glimpse of a body lying. The person apparently was trying to get into a running train and slipped and fell off. There was noticeable indifference among all people around, obviously used to these things ... I have been very disturbed since morning.
Around 10 people die every day in local train related accidents in Bombay. As Atanu Dey of Deeshaa wrote, "every year, about 4,000 people leave home, catch a Mumbai local, and end up dead in an hour." Dey continues in the same post:
    Their deaths are unremarkable events. Newspapers which routinely report the latest shenanigans of Hollywood sleaze-bags on their front page don't even mention the passing of 4,000 humans as they struggle to survive. Once in a while a particularly gruesome death is reported in the third page of a rag such as Midday.
Reading Dey's post, I thought I should mention this morning's death in my blog. I do not know anything about the person who died today morning at the Kanjurmarg station. Around the time he/she got killed, in a sad coincidence, I was reading about another death -- death of Rajen, in Amitav Ghosh's Hungry Tide. I name him/her Rajen. In Ghosh, Kusum tells Nirmal:
    A train began to move ... As the engine picked up speed, he ran to keep up, then his bad leg crumpled and he made a misstep: he was pulled from the platform, thrown before the wheels. What can I say? He was taken before his time.
What can we say? Other than that Rajen was taken before his/her time.

2 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Blogger Dilip D'Souza said...

Anand, thanks for the thought.

You may find this interesting.

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger anurag said...

Anand, its nice to bring things to notice, thanks for that.

I had been in Mumbai for 2 days the previous year and saw one such accident ! You are right people have become cold to all this now !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home