Monday, February 07, 2005

Five Point Something

Chetan Bhagat's IIT based novel "Five Point Someone" is suddenly there everywhere. It is displayed very well in bookstores, and you wouldn't miss this title on the pavement bookstalls in Churchgate-Fort area. (R tells me that it's one step ahead of Amitav Ghosh's "Hungry Tide" -- which I havn't read till now, but she has enjoyed very much -- in the Crossword bestsellers list. Of course the bestseller lists don't mean anything as far as the literary merits are concerned, but it's funny that a serious writer like Ghosh is grouped with a five point some one in some list!)

I had read "Five Point Someone" a couple of weeks back. It's definitely not a serious work, but it's not meant to be one. What one expects in a book, in that case, would be a gripping storyline, told neatly and logically. This one doesn't have any of these qualities. Instead, what one notices is silly arithmetic mistakes -- involving percentages, lack of a sense of time -- somebody rides a scooter which is bought only three months later, factual mistakes -- color TV arrives in India only in the late 80's, etc. The main characters, fantasising providing superior weapons to CIA, just did not attract me. One word, a word that's used a zillion times in this book, would aptly describe this book -- crap.

On several occasions, one of the main characters complains about the IIT system: not many great engineers or scientists have come out of the IIT's. I do not know about that, but I guess that comment stands valid if one considers novelists or storytellers. At least that's the inference that can be drawn from this five point something!

Chetan Bhagat's blog says that he's coming up with a second book. Here's hoping that that will prove this post wrong.

13 Comments:

At 3:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful account of college life that everyone can associate with, IITian or not.

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anand, I'm Chandini.U r unfair on Chetan Bhagat. Doesn't his novel criticise the present materialistic educational system? You who appreciate Vaikkom M. Basheer -- how can you close your eyes to Bhagat's sense of humour?

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chandini -- Perhaps I was unfair. I should have stopped at saying that it wasn't for me, instead of saying 'crap', etc.

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chetan Bhagat may not be the best writer around, but he sure has a style of his own. I've read 5 point something, and I found it to be very amusing at the least....very un-put-downable actually.

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don`t really get it ANAND.u say "crap" 2 this book.u find out mistakes like coming of colour t.v if u want facts read g.k books man.5 point something is a book i think that every student should read.It really reflects the life in colleges.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger α Lyrae said...

Hi!
Nice review. Everyone has the right to say what one wants. 5.some1 was like fine but not really bad not crap atleast.

Do check my blog:
vega-supergirl.blogspot.com

Bye!!
Vega

 
At 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I KINDA ENJOYED THE NOVEL,
BUT IT'S A REAL PUT OFF TO FIND THAT COMMERCE STUDENTS ARE LOOKED DOWN UPON LIKE HELL!!!

 
At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm currently reading the book.....generally I leave a book half way but this one rocks......hats off to chetan bhagat..... keep up the gud work

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger shiv said...

Yes I think this book sure touches the chord of the Students irrespective of the college they have studied. I am definetly waiting for the day this book is released in the form of a movie. Can't wait to watch real actors performing.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

hi anand,dont be too practical.a book can only be judged by the time u spend with it.try to put the scenario and characters in that book into ur surroundings,then u will find that piece of work too real and a lovely companion to spend with as i found with 5.something.with best wishes,SAGAR

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems you are yet another 10 point CGA mugger, who does not like 'Five Point Something'. I have friends in IIT (thank fully I am not an IITian) and I could relate their pig-life in IIT with the characters in this novel. So I guess Chetan Bhagat rocks. Not trying to be a great writer, but a great story teller who can hold a scarce reader awake for the whole night to finish off his novel. Thumbs down to your review !

 
At 11:33 PM, Anonymous nisha said...

I read your novel "Five Point SOmething
really it was very interesting...

 
At 11:37 PM, Anonymous nilusinha said...

My friend given me your novel
to read but I was not interested
but just when I read it
was very pleasured..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home